Door openings—including entrance, cabinet, and shower doors—must not interfere with the functionality of bathroom fixtures or the use of other doors.
- Door clearance: 32"
- Opening width: 34" recommended, 32" minimum
- Height in front of sanitary fixtures and vanity (middle of the room): 80"
- Height behind sanitary fixtures and vanity (along the wall): 60"
Electrical outlets, switches, and lighting
All outlets in a bathroom must have GFCI protection (ground fault current interrupter).
- Height: 39" above floor
- There needs to be at least one outlet within 36" of the sink edge
- There must be at least one switch located at the bathroom entrance
- Switches must not be within reach of the bath or shower
- Any lighting located above a bathtub must be at least 36" away from the rim horizontally or 8’ above the rim vertically
- CFM (cubic feet per minute) is a measure of airflow. If you do not have a central air ventilation system, then you will need a bathroom fan with a minimum exhaust rate of 50 CFM