Power surges are a spike in your house's electric current. It lasts for a brief amount of time, but the damage it causes can be permanent. The most common causes of power surges include lightning strikes, and high-power electrical devices that require a lot of energy when turned on or off, like air conditioners and refrigerators. Other causes include faulty wiring and downed power lines.
Learn how to protect your home from power spikes and surges with surge protectors in our buying guide.
Generators are great when there is a power outage at home, on camping trips or on a job site. Learn more about generators in our Generator Buying Guide.