Learn all about fire safety and prevention for your home, including the importance of fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and more. Find out the best places to store your safety products, as well as tips on a fire safety plan.
Awareness, education, and preparation are the best ways to ensure the safety of your home and your loved ones.
From fire extinguishers to fire-resistant insulation, find everything you need to make sure your home is safe and secure in case of a fire.
Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, garage, or near any other potentially hazardous areas, such as your furnace and fireplace. Make sure to follow all the manufacturer’s care, testing, and user guidelines included with your fire extinguisher.
Install and regularly maintain carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to guard against deadly gas leaks and fire hazards. Make sure to replace batteries regularly and test them once a month.
Consult your user manuals for the best placement for these life-saving devices in your home. Smoke detectors should always be installed on the ceiling, while carbon monoxide detectors should be kept close to sleeping areas, like bedrooms and hallways
Extension cords are not designed for long-term use; replace them regularly. Keep extension cords out of high-traffic areas, and inspect them frequently for damage. Don't overload extension cords with plugs and ensure that you do not exceed the maximum wattage allowed.
Keep a screen or heat-tempered glass door in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks and embers from flying out. Fireplace screens work well as a decorative element or a focal point in your living room, and help to create a safer environment for kids and pets.
Never leave appliances unattended while cooking. In case of a grease fire, cover the flame with a lid. Turn all pot handles to the stove's centre. And always double check to make sure you've turned off your appliances after use.
Fires can cause power outages, and vice versa. Having emergency and exit lighting can save lives. Make sure the occupants of your home have a safely-lit and clearly-indicated path to the outdoors in case your regular lighting system malfunctions. This is particularly important for non-residential buildings or homes that welcome frequent guests, as occupants of the building may not be familiar with their surroundings.
If you have a lot of electrical equipment, surge protectors will help prevent damage in the event of power surges. This is different from power strips, which only provides more outlets for use. Never plug in one surge protector into another as a "daisy chain" — this can risk blown fuses or electrical fires.
Find out more in our Surge Protector Buying Guide.
ROCKWOOL fire-resistant insulation resists temperatures of up to 1177 C without burning or melting. Non-combustible stone wool insulation helps prevent the spread of flame or produce toxic smoke in the event of fire; these factors may provide critical additional time and protection needed to facilitate an escape.
Have a back-up exit method prepared in case your primary method is blocked — purchase collapsible ladders to place near a window. Never open a warm door; if the door's top, knob, and crack feel warm or hot, use your secondary escape route. If you must escape through a smoky area, cover your mouth and stay as low to the ground as possible. And teach kids not to hide (say, under a bed) from firefighters!
Electric fireplaces can collect dust and dirt in their grill, blower, fan, or exhaust port. This debris is a fire hazard when it's close to high heat levels. Wipe away any cobwebs or dust from your electric fireplace's grill or blower once a week. Use a vacuum to remove any other dust from the blower or the rear portion of the blower where the fan assembly is located.
Make sure to regularly inspect (or have an electrician inspect) your building wires and electrical cables. If wiring is fraying or otherwise damaged, the best action is to replace it. Alternatively, electrical tape can be a safe and effective solution in situations where inner metal is not exposed or severed. Finally, twist-on connectors (or "wire nuts") can fix a minimally-damaged electrical wire.
In the 21st Century there are now carbon monoxide and smoke detectors that can sync with your phone.Receive notifications in the event of an emergency — so you find out right away the type of danger (smoke or carbon monoxide) and its location in your home. You can also test and silence false alarms from your smart device.