Step by Step Instructions
Measure & Cut Your Moulding
- Decide how many rows of moulding you want your shoe rack to have — keep approximately 8 inches of space for each pair of shoes.
- Use a mitre or hand saw to cut each piece of moulding to the desired length.
Tip: Moulding with a lip on the top provides a great hook for hanging heels on.
Paint Your Project
- Use a brush to paint the moulding any colour or design of your choice.
- You can choose to paint all of them same colour, make each piece a different colour, or experiment with different colours on each piece of moulding.
- Let the paint dry thoroughly before installing.
Tip: A satin or semi-gloss paint will be easier to apply and smoother after application, making it easier to clean.
Drill Holes for Support
- Measure 5 in. from the end of each piece of moulding.
- Use your countersink bit to drill a hole. Drill an additional hole in the centre of the moulding for additional support.
Tip: Let the end of the moulding hang off a table before drilling so you don't damage your furniture.
Mark Your Screw Holes
- Use your tape measure and level to find a position where you want the pieces of moulding to hang.
- Use a pencil to mark where the screw holes will align with the wall.
- Once you've confirmed the holes are level, drill your drywall anchors into the wall over the pencil markings.
Tip: Be sure to leave enough vertical space between each piece of moulding so your shoes can hang comfortably.
Align & Attach Your Moulding
- Place the moulding over the holes and use your Phillips screwdriver or power drill to secure the moulding to the wall with screws.
- Repeat for the rest of the moulding pieces.
Tip: Keep the drill at a 90 degree angle to the wall so the screws go in straight.
Add the Finishing Touches
- Add bumpers to the top of the moulding where you want to place your shoes to prevent them from slipping.
- Usually, bumpers are little plastic squares that protect surfaces, but here they'll serve a different purpose.
- Lightly paint over the screws to finish the look.
- Choose your favourite shoes to display and hang them over the moulding
Tip: Install different types of wall hooks so you have a rack for various types of shoes and accessories. Display jewellry, purses, and other personal items for a unique wall feature.
How To Terms
Give your bedroom a makeover with these design ideas that will help you personalize your bedroom space, from chalkboard paint, furniture, and black wallpaper to trendy couches, area rugs, chandeliers, and lamps.
Take on the perfect DIY project by adding some funky furniture to your living room with a copper pipe side table. All you need is a bit of copper, a few tools and materials, and you’ll have a unique side table.