How to Turn a Bookshelf into a Storage Bench
Build Your Bookshelf
Paint Sofa Legs & Bookshelf
- If your sofa legs come in raw wood, you need to paint them before attaching them to the bookcase.
- You can change the colour of your bookcase with a simple coat of paint.
- Make sure the paint is completely dry before moving on to the next step.
Tip: Try painting the sofa legs a different colour than your bookshelf for a unique look.
For more information on how to paint furniture check out How to Paint Furniture.
Attach Sofa Legs
- Drill a hole on each corner on what will become the bottom (of your storage bench).
- Attach the straight top plates, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Screw in the six sofa legs to the top plates, making sure they are as snug as possible.
Add Finishing Touches
- Add some decorative pillows to make the bench cozier and more comfortable.
- Place your storage bins in the shelves beneath the bench.
How To Terms
Learn how to paint your furniture in our step-by-step guide that will teach you everything from preparing the surface to the correct furniture paint.
Use our how-to guide to build your own entertainment centre and organize your electronics in a tidy way. It's a fun and challenging confidence-building project.