How to Measure Your Dog for a Dog House
Dogs come in many different sizes, so it is important to measure your dog before you gather your materials.
- Dog House Door: Most dogs duck their head when they enter a doghouse, so you need to measure shoulder to ground and multiply it by 0.75.
- Dog House Height: Measure head to ground and multiply by two.
- Dog House Width and Depth: Measure nose to flank (do not include the tail) and multiply it by three.
- Dog House Base: Subtract 2 inches from the width of the bottom, and keep the length the same as the length of the whole dog house.
- Dog House Roof: The roof of the doghouse should be the same as the height of the house, with 4 in. overhang.
|Weight||Shoulder to Ground||Head to Ground||Nose to Flank|
|Extra Small Dogs||10 lbs or fewer||10 in.||12 in.||16 in.|
|Small Dogs||11 - 25 lbs||15 in.||16 in.||24 in.|
|Medium Dogs||26 - 75 lbs||20 in.||24 in.||30 in.|
|Large Dogs||76 lbs - 100 lbs||25 in.||30 in.||35 in.|
|Extra Large Dogs||100 lbs or more||30 in.||38 in.||40 in.|
Cutting Out the Pieces
Lay Out the Panels
Note: The drawing has two floor panels. This is so you can double the thickness of the floor for comfort and warmth.
Cut Out the Panels
Cut Your Platform
Cut one of your 2x4 boards into the following:
- Platform sides: Two piece that are 3 in. shorter than the width of the sides of your dog house.
- Platform front and back: Two pieces that are 2 in. shorter than the width of the front and back of your dog house.
- Platform legs: Four pieces that are 6 in. long.
Cut Your Doghouse Frame
- Rip one of your 2x4 boards into 2x2 stock for the frame.
- From these, cut four pieces that are 4 in. smaller than the short end of the side panels, and four pieces that are 4 in. smaller than the roof line of the front and the back panels of the doghouse.
- Cut one piece the same size as the short side of the roof.
Assemble the Dog House Platform
Round the Platform Legs
Align the Platform to the Legs
Assemble the Platform Frame
Assemble the Dog House
Attach the Frame to the Dog House Panels
Front and Back Panels: Nail the frame pieces to the roof line of the front and back panels. They should meet at the top and extend along the roof line to approximately 2 ½ in. from the sides.
Roof Panels: Nail a frame piece flush against the top inside edge of one of the roof panels. It should be centred 5 in. from the edges of the panel.
Nail the Side Panels to the Platform
Nail the Front & Back Panels to the Platform
Check for Exposed Nails
Attach the Roof Panels
Install the Shingles
A great way to prevent your dog house from leaking, shingles are easy to install, and you can shingle the dog house to match your own.
- Run the first row of shingles upside down (split tabs up), along the bottom of the roof edges.
- Using short roofing nails, nail the shingles in place, row-by-row, in the pattern that you desire.
- Cap the ridge with cut shingle tabs to prevent any leakage from inclement weather.
How To Terms
- Cutting Out the Pieces
- Lay Out the Panels
- Cut Out the Panels
- Cut Your Platform
- Cut Your Doghouse Frame
- Assemble the Dog House Platform
- Round the Platform Legs
- Align the Platform to the Legs
- Assemble the Platform Frame
- Assemble the Dog House
- Attach the Frame to the Dog House Panels
- Nail the Side Panels to the Platform
- Nail the Front & Back Panels to the Platform
- Check for Exposed Nails
- Attach the Roof Panels
- Finishing Touches
- Install the Shingles
If you want to design your own container garden, here are some tips to get you off on the right foot. The concept is simple: thrillers, fillers, and spillers.
Learn how to paint your furniture in our step-by-step guide that will teach you everything from preparing the surface to the correct furniture paint.