Water Softener Buying Guide
Discover our selection of water softeners and how they work to combat the build up of calcium and magnesium ions in your water. Learn about the different types of water softeners, water softener salt and how to prevent hard water in your system.
Solve Your Hard Water Problems
What is Hard Water?
Hard water is formed when water minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, build up during the
water cycle. It can affect everything from your home's energy use to the health of your skin and your finances. In homes with hard water, problems are most likely to surface while doing household chores and bathing. That's because the minerals in hard water accumulate in, on, and around pipes, dishes, tile, and laundry. They also weaken the effectiveness of most soaps and cleaners.
While hard water is safe to use for drinking and washing, here are five benefits of soft water:
- Longer lasting dishwashers, laundry machines, washing machines, and water heaters. The Water Quality Association study showed soft water increases the lifespan of major appliances that use water by 30 to 50 percent.
- More efficient water heating, which results in more energy savings. For example, water softeners use as little electricity as digital alarm clocks, and water heaters that run on soft water use up to 29 percent less energy.
- Softer hair, smoother skin, and brighter clothes after washing.
- Household cleaning is easier and quicker, as there are less hard water spots on glassware and dishes
- Increased savings, as you won't have to replace water-using appliances as frequently, you will reduce detergent use by more than 50 percent, and pay less for water heating energy bills.
To determine your household's water hardness, you can purchase a water test kit.
Are Water Softeners Environmentally Friendly?
Most water softeners are energy efficient and contribute to a better environment by utilizing demand-initiated regeneration with salt-saving technology, so the system only recharges when necessary, saving salt and water.
*Water Softener Effects on Septic System Performance, Water Quality Research Foundation (2013)
From mounts to finishes, find the perfect set of kitchen taps to tackle that sink full of dirty dishes using our Kitchen Faucet Buying Guide.
Learn all about the best shower head options for your bathroom including, types, energy-saving, finishes, and spray patterns in our Shower Head Buying Guide.