Kitchen Lights Buying Guide
Shine some light on your kitchen with the perfect light fixture! Discover all the possibilities, from track lights to under cabinet lighting and more. You'll find the perfect lighting for your kitchen in no time!
Put a Spotlight on Your Kitchen
- Task: This type of lighting is functional, providing light for main tasks in the kitchen including cooking and preparing food. Examples of task lighting include under cabinet lights, wall sconces, and kitchen island lighting.
- Accent: Accent lighting allows the kitchen to have layers of light. This provides different dimensions to the look of your kitchen and allows for small kitchens to give the illusion of a bigger space. Accent lighting includes wall sconces.
- Ambient: Ambient lighting, or overall lighting, is the main light fixture of the room. It provides overall lighting to your kitchen and can be placed in the dining area. An example of ambient lighting includes flush mount light fixtures.
- Decorative: Decorative lighting adds style and function to your kitchen. Lights like wall sconces and chandeliers can tie in the room’s design elements and provide light to your dining area.
Kitchen Light Tips
The type of light bulb you choose is dependent on various things like type of light fixture, energy costs, and what type of lighting you want in your kitchen. Look for LED or CFL bulbs for eco-friendly options, and always be sure to read the manual of the light fixture to ensure you have the right type and wattage of bulb.
“Alexa, turn on the kitchen island lights.” Make voice command lights a reality with Smart bulbs. These light bulbs have Wi-Fi access and can be hooked up to your Amazon Echo or Google Home for ultimate 21st Century living.
Light Bulb Temperature
Light bulb temperature is an important element to the overall lighting of your kitchen.
- Ambient: If your kitchen has earthy and wood tones, you’ll want to go for a warm light temperature, while kitchens with light colours are best suited for cooler toned light bulbs.
- Task: Neutral to cool white is perfect for task lighting. It creates a good amount of contrast, so you can focus on the food prep at hand!
- Decorative: Light temperatures for chandeliers and wall lighting is all about personal preference and the type of mood you'd like to convey in your kitchen.
Renovating on a budget? Start by updating your light fixtures! From chandeliers to ceiling lights, learn how to pick budget-friendly lights for your home!
Learn how to install flush mount ceiling light fixtures in your bedroom, living room, bathroom, and other areas of your home with our step-by-step guide!
Renovate your kitchen on a budget! Get inspired with simple upgrades like cabinet refacing or a paint refresh and your kitchen will look brand new before you know it!