Exterior Door Buying Guide
Entry doors are the first thing people notice when they come to your home. It makes a statement and sets the tone for the rest of the house. Let us help you select the right door for your home. You'll learn the key terms you need to know, as well as different materials available for exterior doors.
Find the Perfect Exterior Door
With a variety of materials and styles to choose from, the perfect exterior door is waiting for you. Find one that makes a serious style statement.
Check out your local Lowe’s to see what’s available and talk to our experts to make it all fit together.
Exterior Doors 101
Doors have their own special language:
- Inswing (I/S): A door that opens in.
- Outswing (O/S): A door that opens out.
- Left Hand: Hinges are on the left for I/S doors, and on the right for O/S doors (viewed from the lawn).
- Right Hand: Hinges are on the right for I/S doors, and on the left for O/S doors.
- Lite: A pane of glass in a door.
- Divided Lite: Divided panes of glass.
- Grille: Plastic, wooden, or metal assembly in a door that gives the appearance of divided lites.
Use our Storm and Utility Windows Buying Guide to increase the insulation and efficiency of existing older, single hung windows.
A stunning window replacement makes a big difference at home. Explore types of replacement windows and factors to consider with our buying guide.