Everyone has at least one room in their home that's small enough to make decorating and layout challenging. With features like recessed lighting, a glass table and light colours, your room can look more spacious than it is! Try these tips on for size.
1. For the illusion of a larger room, use a colour scheme that's light rather than bright or dark. Pastels, neutrals and white are all colour possibilities.
2. Use a monochromatic colour scheme on the furniture, rugs and walls. Select different shades and textures of your single colour.
3. Lighting is a key element in opening up a space. Recessed spot lighting is visually appealing and is perfect for a small space. A torchiere light is great for bouncing light off of the ceiling and back down on the room. Skylights and solar tubes are natural alternatives for adding light to a room.
4. Limit the number of accessories to avoid the cluttered feeling.
5. The floor and the ceiling are the fifth and sixth walls of every room. A light-coloured flooring such as light oak or a light-coloured carpet will make the room appear brighter and more open. The same applies to the ceiling-use a light colour or white to "open up" the space above.
6. Increase the appearance of the size of the room by adding wall mirrors. They not only reflect images, they reflect light and colour. Be a little daring! Use mirror tiles to mirror an entire wall. Your room will appear to double in size.
7. Don't place too many pieces of furniture in a small space. A love seat may work better than a full-size sofa depending on the size and shape of the room. Add two medium-sized chairs or two small wood chairs. Place the chairs closer to the wall and then pull them into the area when additional seating is needed.
8. Add paintings or prints to the walls. One large painting works better than a group of small paintings.
9. The visual balance of a room is also important. A large, brightly coloured element can overwhelm a room and decrease the appearance of space.
10. A glass or lucite table, whether it is a dining, coffee or end table, will keep keep the appearance of an open and free space.
Avoid getting hit with a door opening and closing with a pocket door frame allowing for the door to slide in and out of the wall.Learn More Shop Now
Clear the clutter and keep blankets in your room stored away with storage ottomans.Shop Now
Enjoy an intimate dinner or drink with this spacesaver bar table.Shop Now
Dine and store all in one spot with these space saving kitchen carts.Shop Kitchen Carts
Expand your workstation when you need it with these versatile desks.Shop Desks