3 yards - Leggett & Platt 11-1/8mm Rebond carpet padding1/2 x 48 x 96 MDF15-ft x 4-ft 8-ounce canvas drop cloth
#8 x 1-in flathead wood screws
1 x 2 x 8 furring strip Valspar spray paint, Bronze
Make the Base
1. Assemble the two end sections of the bench legs and leave the fittings slightly loose (Project Diagram, Drawing 1). Thread each end assembly onto the 42-in pipe and then stand the bench on a flat surface. Adjust the tightness of the fittings to level the bench and eliminate wobbles.
2. Wipe all of the pipes and fittings with mineral spirits to remove any labels and oily residue. Apply two coats of bronze spray paint according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Make the Seat
1. Glue the two MDF seat panels together and then glue the 1 x 2 x 48 rails along the centre (Project Diagram, Drawing 2). Use painter’s tape to secure the parts while the glue dries.
2. Cut four layers of carpet padding to fit the bench. Stack the padding on the bench and then bevel the top edge with scissors for a rounded upholstery edge.
3. Cut the drop cloth and curtain fabric to 28-in x 70-in and lay the drop cloth on your work surface. Flip the bench upside down and centre the bench and padding on the drop cloth. Starting in the middle of each side, pull the drop cloth over and staple to the bottom of the bench (Project Diagram, Drawing 3). Then alternate on each side of the bench pulling and stapling, moving out from the centre of the bench on each side toward each end -- stop 6 to 8 inches from the ends.
4. Fold under the end and staple each corner.
5. With the four corners folded, wrap the drop cloth over each end and staple. Repeat this and the previous two steps for the curtain fabric.
6. With the upholstered seat still upside down, centre the pipe base on the MDF. Drill 1/8-in pilot holes and drive the screws through the pipe flanges.
Products and prices may change; check your local Lowe’s store for details
Almost any do-it-yourself project involves risk of some sort. Your tools, materials, and skill will vary, as will the conditions of your project site. Lowe’s Companies Inc., and its subsidiaries ("Lowe’s") have made every effort to be complete and accurate in the instructions and other content contained in this publication. However, neither Lowe’s nor the publisher will assume any responsibility or liability for damages or losses sustained or incurred in the course of your home improvement or repair project or in the course of your use of the item you create or repair. Always follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions in the use of tools, check and follow your local building codes, and observe all standard safety precautions. Prices and supply may vary, so check the cost of materials and labour in your area before beginning any home improvement project. We strive to be accurate, but unintentional errors may occur and we reserve the right to correct any error. See a Lowe’s store for information regarding product warranties and any available protection plans. All prices, products and promotions are limited to Canada locations only.
Your Recently Viewed Items
You have no recently viewed items. After viewing product detail pages or search results, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to products you are interested in.
Your Recommended Items
You currently have no recommended items. Browse a few more items to give us an idea of what you like.