Home and Fire Safety Buying Guide: Porch and Deck
Lowe's is happy to provide this information as a service to you.
More on Fire and Safety
- Use non-slip door mats at every entrance to the house.
- Keep enough ice-melter, sand or kitty litter on hand to treat ice patches in the winter. Shovel the sidewalk and driveway promptly to keep walking safe during the snowy season...Shop All Ice-Melter!
- Install hand rails on steps that lead up to porches or decks. Make sure the rails are sturdy and easy to grip...
- Install outdoor lighting to guide visitors on the path to your door. A variety of decorative lights are available: Some are powered by low-voltage electrical lines running underground, and others get energy from the sun during the daytime so they can shine at night. Look for an outdoor lighting system that can be set to turn on automatically according to a schedule... Shop All Outdoor Lighting
- Make sure all the boards on your deck are in good condition and firmly attached. Replace any boards that are broken, splintered or rotting, and replace any popped-up nails with deck screws for greater holding power.