Home and Fire Safety Buying Guide: Living Room
Lowe's is happy to provide this information as a service to you.
More on Fire and Safety
- Avoid using extension cords. If you must, make sure the cord is in good condition not frayed, stretched or worn and is out of the path of foot traffic.
- If all the items to be plugged in are close together, try using a power bar or surge protector. But make sure not to overload the circuit, which can create a fire hazard... Shop All Power Bars & Surge Protectors!
- Install peep-holes in exterior doors so you can see who is ringing the doorbell before you answer...Shop All Peep-Holes!
- Keep clothing, upholstered furniture and draperies away from space heaters. Do not leave space heaters unattended - turn them off if you have to leave the room, even if you are only going to be gone for a few moments. Do not use space heaters while you are asleep...Shop All Space Heaters!
- Use no-tip ashtrays to make sure burning cigarette butts stay where they belong. Do not use makeshift ashtrays - plastic cups, for example. If the material is not fireproof, it might not contain the burning cigarettes safely.