Build your own display rack for your favorite plates. You can customize the length of the rack based on your needs. The rack dimensions provided will accommodate two standard-sized collector's plates. Lowe's is happy to provide this information as a service to you.
1" oak or pine
1" oak or pine
5" deep x 24" wide
3" deep x 22 3/4" wide
1. Cut the pieces according to the cut list.
2. Choose an option for hanging - we will be using option B:.
A. Measure in from each end of the back edge of the ledge 2-1/2" and mark. These marks are where you will align the saw tooth hangers.
B. For permanent attachment to the wall, countersink three evenly spaced holes in the bottom.
A. Measure in 2-1/2" from end if using sawtooth hangers.
B. Evenly space holes if using screws to attach to wall.
Drill your first hole 3-1/2" in from the end.
3. Countersink three holes in the face of the ledge. One hole on each end 3 1/2" in from each side. Then countersink a hole in the middle at 12"
4. Clamp the ledge to the bottom and pre-drill holes for the screws in the bottom.
5. Rout a decorative edge around the boards with a piloted bit. Rout the bottom face of the ledge and the front face of the bottom. Don't rout the top face of the bottom piece or the back face of the ledge.
Don't rout the top face of the bottom piece or the back face of the ledge.
6. Rout a 1/4" deep by 3/8" wide dado on the top face of the ledge piece. The rear of the dado should be 1 1/2" in from the back edge of the piece.
7. Sand the plate rack.
8. Attach the ledge to the bottom using 1 1/4" screws.
9. Place a wooden button in each hole to cover each screw head.
10. Stain, paint or stencil the piece.
11. Use drywall screws to secure the rack to the wall. Place wooden buttons in each hole to cover the screw heads.